Monday, January 31, 2011

Don't piss off a gypsy


Having this in Sam Raimi's hands is the thing that drew me to it.  Never saw it in the theaters, but certainly wanted to check it out.

DRAG ME TO HELL certainly did have some Raimi-esque touches to it.  Some of the gooey gore looked good, the demonic voices were clearly reminiscent of the EVIL DEAD era, and some of the camera-work was also right on for Raimi.

Overall, this was a completely enjoyable and watchable film.  Some of the scenes that I think were meant to build tension and suspense only built passing time into the film's duration. If this had been tightened up a bit, and got down below the 90 minute mark, I think I would have enjoyed it even more.  I did watch the Director's Cut, but since I never saw the theatrical version, I have no idea what was added.

Rating: 7/10

2 comments:

  1. Saw in theater and was "meh" on it. Could've been b/c it was the 2nd film of a double feature and I was dead tired. We watched at a movie night over at Ron's and it was so much better in that setting, ie excellent watch w/a group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would imagine that a beer-fueled group viewing would definitely be a good time. Films like EVIL DEAD always benefit from the group vibe. This had minor ED influences, which came up very late in the séance scene, so I would have enjoyed more classic Raimi nuggets like that.

    ReplyDelete